Saturday 23 June 2012

Home made fishballs



This street food staple gets a better-for-you, whip-it-at-home upgrade. Just fry, skewer, and dip!

Fish balls is one of my favorite snacks when I was young. My mom made very good fish balls but I never learned from her….*sigh*. The flavour, texture and taste was just superb. My fish balls just can’t measure up to hers. Nevertheless I am just very happy that I know how to make them and my family likes them very much.



To make nice fish balls, the type of fish used is the most important. Back home we use Dalagang Bukid, also called Yellow Tail Fusilier. It’s very simple, easy and delicious. It’s especially good served with rice.

Here’s my simple and easy homemade fish balls using dalagang bukid/Yellow Tail Fusilier. You can try with other fish too. If you use frozen fish, you need to thawed it first and then pat dry before adding the rest of the ingredients.

Ingredients:
 400 to 500 grams fish fillet (any fish may be used; we used dalagang bukid for this recipe)
1-inch piece ginger, peeled
1 cup diced carrots
1 whole garlic, minced
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1/2 cup cassava flour
salt and pepper to taste
8 cups fish stock
oil for deep-frying

Cooking Procedure:
 1  Poach the fish fillet in salted water with the ginger.

Once cooked, flake the fish to make about 4 cups of flaked fish.

Place the flaked fish, carrots, garlic, and egg in a food processor. Purée until smooth.

4  Transfer to a bowl and add the cornstarch and flour; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.

5  Form into 1-inch balls. Simmer in fish stock until opaque. Drain.

To serve, deep-fry in oil until golden brown. (Freeze uncooked balls until ready to cook.)

No comments:

Post a Comment